Are you ready to be smoke free?
When you decide to stop:
- It is important to throw away any cigarettes, ashtrays, lighters and matches.
- Set aside regular time to do self relaxation, using an image for relaxation and calm, or see yourself as smoke free, healthy, full of vitality, enjoying life to the full. Practise twice a day at first. Try deep, relaxing breathing too, it can be done anywhere, anytime.
- Drink lots of water, eat lots of fruit and take vitamin C. This has been scientifically shown that it may help during the first few weeks. Having fruit around is also good to occupy your hands.
- Remember the money you are saving too - I wonder what your reward will be?
- Choose an exercise you enjoy, or take lots of brisk walks, breathing deeply, clearing out your lungs and stimulating your circulation. You will find that sooner or later you will begin to notice that you have more energy.
- You only ever need to refuse one cigarette.
- If possible, try to avoid situations where other people are smoking when you first decide to stop.
- It is normal to have a passing thought about cigarettes even when you have decided to stop. But just like most of the other thoughts that go through your mind in any one day, you don’t need to act upon it. It will soon pass.