How do online hypnotherapy sessions work?
What should I do before the session? - Treat your online appointment in the same way as you would a face to face appointment and give yourself plenty of time to get ready.
- Make sure your device is fully charged. I will email a link which you can simply click at your appointment time.
- It might help to have a glass of water or a warm drink (preferably caffeine free so that you can relax) beside you and visit the bathroom.
- Make sure you are warm enough. You can use a blanket if it you like.
- If you have headphones you can connect them to your device for a more focused relaxation.
- Sit in a comfortable chair which allows you to relax in a supported way without falling asleep. It can be helpful to ensure that your head and neck are supported too.
- It is important that you maintain confidentiality so if there are other people in the house please ask not to be disturbed for the duration of your appointment.
- To benefit fully from hypnotherapy, it is essential to ask other people not to interrupt your session except in the case of an emergency.
- If you are a parent of a child attending a session you can sit with the child while we chat and depending on the age and preference of the child you can either sit quietly in another part of the same room during the appointment or leave the room and return at the end.
- It can be helpful to give yourself permission to forget about everything else for a while, so have a look around your home and make any changes that would help to create a quiet, relaxing environment, eg switch off mobile phone, unplug landline, remove doorbell battery, turn off TV.
- You can stop the session at any time, just let me know and we can do so together.
- If it helps you to have someone to talk to before or after the session, you can ask a friend or family member to be in your home, although not in the room for confidentiality, during your therapy.
What happens during the session?
We will begin the session by having a conversation about how you would like hypnotherapy to help you. Then you can make yourself comfortable and I will guide you into a gentle relaxation, offering therapeutic suggestions to support positive changes specific to you.
Please feel free to ask if you do not hear or understand anything I have said and also let me know if I have not heard you correctly.
If you see my head look away for a moment I am probably just jotting down ideas or notes to aid my memory. Therapists learn to write and listen simultaneously, so be assured that I am paying full attention to you at all times during the session.
Some people ask what happens if we lose internet connection during hypnosis. This is extremely rare, but you can be reassured that I will suggest in advance that you will open your eyes and regain full alertness quite naturally. If it happens while we are talking, simply leave the Zoom appointment and click on the link again. I can also phone you, or your contact person. It is very unlikely that you would fall asleep but if you are worried about this you can ask someone to come in and check on you at the end of the appointment or you can even set an alarm for yourself if you wish.
Just before the end of the session we will make a follow-up appointment and then sign off within the allotted appointment time
What happens after the session?
If you have any questions after the session please feel free to get in touch or make a note and we can chat about them at the next appointment.
I will send you a link to download my relaxation recording which you can enjoy listening to every day or as often as you like. This will reinforce any of the work we have done during your appointment and offer suggestions to help you relax, cope better and visualise your life with those positive changes in place. It can be added to your daily practice of relaxation.
Important Terms and Conditions
Payment can be made in advance or on the day of your appointment by bank transfer (please ask for details), unless you are referred through MASScot charity
A cancellation fee will generally apply for cancellations made within 24 hours
Zoom 5.0 offers end to end encryption which means it is should be a secure service, but we cannot guarantee this 100%. If you would prefer to use another system please let me know.